Ride Share Austin (“Ride Austin” or “we”) collects information about you when you use our mobile applications or websites (each an “Application”), and through other interactions and communications you have with us. This Privacy Statement (“Statement”) describes the ways through which we collect information from and about you, and what we do with the information, so that you may decide whether or not to provide information to us and/or use our Application.
1. Scope and Application
This Statement applies to persons who use our Application to request transportation (“Users”). This Statement does not apply to information we collect from or about drivers who use the Application under license (collectively “Drivers”). If you interact with the Application as both a User and a Driver, the respective privacy statements apply to your different interactions. The terms of this Statement apply in addition to any other agreements we might have with you.
2. Consent and Mobile Platform Permissions
By using the Application you consent to our collection, storage, use and disclosure of your information as described in this Statement. Please note that mobile platforms (iOS, Android, Windows etc.) define the types of data that applications on your mobile device in general can or cannot access without your consent. The permission systems for obtaining your consent vary with the platform your device uses; the main differences are in the manner in which the applications on various mobile platforms ask for permission. You can manage those permissions and choose to provide/to not provide those permissions.
3. Our Collection of your Information
Information you Provide to us
Ride Austin collects information you provide directly to us, such as when you create or modify your account, request on-demand services, contact customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. This information may include: name, email, phone number, postal address, profile picture, payment method, items requested (for delivery services), delivery notes, and other information you choose to provide.
Information we Collect through your use of the Application
When you use the Application, we collect information about you in the following categories:
- Location Information: When you use the Application for transportation, we collect precise location data about the trip from the Application used by the Driver. If you permit the Application to access location services through the permission system used by your mobile platform, we may also collect the precise location of your device when the Application is running in the foreground or background. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- Contacts Information: If you permit the Application to access the address book on your device through the permission system used by your mobile platform, we may access and store names and contact information from your address book to facilitate social interactions through the Application and for other purposes described in this Statement or at the time of consent or collection.
- Transaction Information: We collect transaction details related to your use of the Application, including the type of service requested, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, distance traveled, and other related transaction details. Additionally, if someone uses your promo code, we may associate your name with that person.
- Device Information: We may collect information about your mobile device, including, for example, the hardware model, operating system and version, software and file names and versions, preferred language, unique device identifier, advertising identifiers, serial number, device motion information, and mobile network information.
- Call and SMS Data: Our Application facilitates communication between Users and Drivers. In connection with facilitating this service, we receive call data, including the date and time of the call or SMS message, Users’ phone numbers, and the content of the SMS message.
- Log Information: When you interact with the Application, we collect server logs, which may include information like mobile device IP address, access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and the third-party site or service you were using before interacting with the Application.
Ride Austin may also receive information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Application. For example:
- If you choose to link, create, or log in to your User Account with a payment provider (e.g., Google Wallet) or social media service (e.g., Facebook), or if you engage with a separate app or website that uses our API (or whose API we use), we may receive information about you or your connections from that site or app.
- If your employer uses one of our enterprise solutions, such as Ride Austin for business, we may receive information about you from your employer.
- When you request on demand services, our Drivers may provide us with a User rating after providing Services to you.
- If you also interact with the Application in another capacity, for instance as a Driver, we may combine or associate that information with information we have collected from you in your capacity as a User or rider.
4. Our use of your information
Ride Austin may use information that we collect about you to:
- provide, maintain, and improve the Application, including, for example, to facilitate payments, send receipts, provide products and Services you request (and send related information), develop new features, provide customer support to Users and Drivers, develop safety features, authenticate Users, and send product updates and administrative messages;
- perform internal operations, including, for example, to prevent fraud and abuse of the Application; to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends;
- send or facilitate communications (i) between you and the Driver, such as estimated times of arrival (ETAs), or (ii) between you and a contact of yours’ at your direction in connection with your use of certain features, such as referrals, invites, split fare requests, or ETA sharing;
- send you communication we think will be of interest to you, including information about products, new services, promotions, news, and events of Ride Austin and other companies, where permissible and according to local applicable laws; and to process contest, sweepstake, or other promotion entries and fulfill any related awards;
- personalize and improve the Application, including to provide or recommend features, content, social connections, referrals, and advertisements; and
- perform research and analysis about your use of the Application.
Ride Austin will retain any information only for as long as is necessary to fulfill the business purpose it was collected. We will also retain and use your information for as long as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
5. Our Disclosure of User Information to Third Parties
Ride Austin may share the information we collect about you as described in this Statement or as described at the time of collection or sharing, including as follows:
Through Our Application
Ride Austin may share your information:
- with Drivers to enable them to provide the services you request. For example, we share your name, photograph (if you provide one), average User rating given by Drivers, and pickup and/or drop-off locations with Drivers;
- with other people, as directed by you, such as when you want to share your estimated time of arrival or split a fare with a friend;
- with other people, as directed by you, such as when you want to share your ride with a fellow User;
- with third parties to provide you a service you requested through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party or us;
- with the general public if you submit content in a public forum, such as blog comments, social media posts, or other features of the Application that are viewable by the general public;
- with third parties with whom you choose to let us share information, for example other applications or websites that integrate with our API or Application, or those with an API or service with which we integrate; and
- to the extent that we offer and you participate in an “enterprise feature” (for instance a corporate account), we may share your information with your employer (or similar entity) and any necessary third parties engaged by us or your employer (e.g., an expense management service provider).
Ride Austin may share your information:
- with vendors, consultants, marketing partners, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- in response to a request for information by a competent authority if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or is otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process;
- with law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our User agreements, terms of service, or policies, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Ride Austin or others;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company;
- if we otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing;
- in an aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you;
- with research entities; For example, we may share information with the University of Texas, in order for researchers to determine, among other things, how surge pricing actually works in terms of drawing out drivers and affecting customer wait times, or figure out if lowering rates helps or hurts Drivers’ income; and
- with other third parties with your consent or direction to do so. For example, we may have an option on the Application in which all fares could be rounded up to the next dollar, with the rounded up amount going to a charity that the User would designate on the Application.
Please note that information collected from you may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Ride Austin or agents or contractors work or maintain facilities and the laws on processing personal information may be less stringent than in your country.
Social Sharing Features
The Application may integrate with social sharing features and other related tools which let you share actions you take on the Application with other applications, sites, or media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of your information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the social sharing service. Please refer to the privacy policies of those social sharing services for more information about how they handle the data you provide to or share through them.
6. Our Security Measures to Protect your Personal Information
Ride Austin uses industry-standard technologies when transferring and receiving data exchanged between Ride Austin and other companies to help ensure its security. We have security measures in place to help protect information under our control from the risk of accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, alteration or unauthorized disclosure or access. However, "perfect security" does not exist on the Internet. Also, if the Application contains links to other sites, Ride Austin is not responsible for the security practices or the content of such services.
For more information, please read our Cookie Privacy Statement.
8. Your Rights and Choices
If your personal information changes, or if you no longer desire to use the Application, you may correct, update, or delete inaccuracies by making the change within your account settings or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ride Austin will comply with individual’s requests regarding access, correction, and/or deletion of personal information we store in accordance with applicable law.
We request permission for the Application’s collection of precise location from your device per the permission system used by your mobile operating system. If you initially permit the collection of this information, you can later disable it by changing the location settings on your mobile device. However, this will limit your ability to use certain features of the Application. Additionally, disabling the Application’s collection of precise location from your device will not limit our ability to collect your trip location information from the Driver's device nor our ability to derive approximate location from your IP address.
We may also seek permission for our Application’s collection and syncing of contact information from your device per the permission system used by your mobile operating system. If you initially permit the collection of this information, iOS users can later disable it by changing the contacts settings on your mobile device. The Android platform does not provide such a setting.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us by following the instructions in those messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account, about the services you have requested, or our ongoing business relations.
Because of the nature of our business, the Application is not designed to appeal to minors. We do not knowingly attempt to solicit or receive any information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us immediately.
Changes to our Statement
Ride Austin may amend this Statement at any time by posting a new version. It is your responsibility to review this Statement periodically as your continued use of the Application represents your agreement with the then-current Statement.
If you have any questions about this Statement or our privacy practices, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Last Updated: May 25, 2016